[Samba] xls file locked for editing by unknown user

Dave Coventry dgcoventry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 03:26:52 MDT 2010

I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask about this, but one
of my users is having a problem with her files,specifically excel
files which she is editing with openoffice.

I suspect that she is closing down her PC without logging out or
something and so appears to be still logged in.

She is using Vista and the server is a Debian Lenny box.

Whenever she tries to access the files on the server the file is
apparently "locked for editing by unknown user".

I cannot find any .~ lockfiles and rebooting both machines does not
resolve this.

The permissions are set to 777 and the owner of the files is this
particular user.

As I say, I'm assuming this is a Samba issue.

Can anyone suggest a way to resolve this?

~ Dave