[Samba] RECOVER FILE DAEMON SMBD SAMBA

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 06:17:22 MDT 2010

2010/6/19 Tiago Damasceno ::: TDA INFORMÁTICA
<tiago at tdaconsultoriadigital.com.br>:
> I found the rpm file regarding my samba version, but it did not come to the
> smbd file in which I need:

You have found the source version of the file and not the binary
version.  The one you want should be called something like
samba-2.2.5-107.i586.rpm (or maybe i386 or x86_64 or something other
than src.)

Either you should find the binary package, or you will need to compile
the source package.  If you can find the correct binary package that
would be easiest.

> Under the procedures that I did with him:
> 1. Under the guidance of Pablo Chamorro extract the file with the command:
> rpm2cpio samba-2.2.5-107.src.rpm | cpio-IDMV he extracted the files all
> right, but the file which I need smbd is not contained in the package.
>
> Following is the list of extracted files:
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 19 08:49.
> drwxrwxrwx 6 oracle dba 12 288 Jun 16 17:39 ..
> -Rw-r - r - 1 root root 2813 Sep 23 2002 README.SuSE
[...]

By the way, what strange e-mail client are you using that randomly
capitalises things like the "r" in -rw-r--r-- and also randomly
removes some of the dashes?

> 2. Updated with the command rpm-U samba-2.2.5-107.src.rpm, trying to be
> compressed it into another file, also failed, still showing the message
> below when I start the smb service.
> Samba daemon, / usr / lib / samba / classic / smbd is not installed

/usr/lib/samba/classic is a strange location for Samba.  What
distribution is this anyway?

> 3. I did backup the current settings of the samba and tried to do a fresh
> install over the existing (rpm-i samba-2.2.5-107.src.rpm), it executes the
> command correctly, but I still returns the message error so when I try to
> start the service.

Since this is the source package, "installing" it would just unpack
the source code to somewhere like /usr/src/...

P.S.  Version 2.2.5 is very old.  It might be better to set up a new
server with a new version of Samba (e.g. 3.4.x or 3.5.x) and then move
the other services over to that too.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>