[Samba] Problem with Windows XP: Cannot join Samba PDC

Hung Nguyen Van it.bi.nguyen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 00:56:46 MDT 2010

I double checked and it's exactly what I do, it seems server netbios
name is not available in world of Windows client.
It's so weird with me.
 On Thu, 17 Jun 2010
13:45:48 -0400 Gaiseric Vandal <gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com> wrote:

> For an "NT4/Samba" domain, DNS is not relevant.   The XP client will
> locate the PDC via netbios.  WINS is not essential but definately
> helps. On the XP machine, type "ipconfig /all" and make sure that
> your XP machine is configured for the WINS server.
>
> Also, make sure  on your XP TCP/IP settings that you have NOT
> disabled netbios-over-tcp/ip (NBT.)
>

> On 06/17/2010 10:22 AM, Hung Nguyen wrote:
> > I have tried several times to get Windows XP client join SAMBA PDC
> > domain, but no luck.
> > I follow some nice guide from Ubuntu Forum and samba Document, my
> > Samba PDC working with OpenLDAP.
> > When I type join XP to domain I get :
> > http://osvn.pastebin.com/QUpVVq5q
> > <http://osvn.pastebin.com/QUpVVq5q>
> >
> > DOMAIN is name of workgroup = DOMAIN in my samba group, it seems
> > like XP client cannot find where is DOMAIN.
> > I'm pretty sure that my DNS is working properly, XP can resolve
> > dc.DOMAIN.local to its IP address and use my dns server to connect
> > to internet without problem.
> > Linux Clients can join domain without problem.
> >
> > Does someone face this problem before, please help.
> > I also enable WinS server on Samba configuration.
> > Actually, I dont understand why I need a local DNS here, because
> > when we join Samba Domain, we just type in Domain form NetBios name
> > of server, not full domain name. If you can explain, please give me
> > an answer too.
> > Thank you very much for your help, 2 days working on it did not
> > help me too much.
> >

> > Regards,

Nguyen Van Hung
System Administrator

SYNAPSYS Co., Ltd
1st Floor, 49 Bui Dinh Tuy St, Binh Thanh Dist, HCMC, Vietnam
Tel: ( +84-8 ) 66 599 379
Cell : ( +84 ) 0976 30 22 32
Email: vhnguyen at synapsys-vn.com
Website: http://www.synapsys-vn.com