[Samba] Microsoft OneNote 2007 painfully slow

Andrew Masterson Andrew.Masterson at nuvistaenergy.com
Wed Jun 16 07:54:14 MDT 2010

We have a user trying to share a OneNote 2007 notebook and it takes
minutes
to load a 20 KB notebook. I've opened a 500 KB Excel spreadsheet from
the
same share and it took seconds. Has anyone else run into this problem?
We
are running Samba 3.4.8 on Debian Squeeze.

Thanks,

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University

---------------------------------------

When I have run into stuff like this it is because an application is
trying to modify security permissions on the files that it doesn't have
the right to (like with creater\owner, etc.).  Given that M$ is fond of
creating temporary lock files, etc. you may want to start looking there
first.

-=Andrew

I don't recall seeing any temp files like Word/Excel/etc 2007 (we ran
into that problem, in fact I still have a script running every 15
minutes to scan the file system and 'fix' the permissions). I'll watch
the directory as I open up the NoteBook and see if I can see any funny
business.

Thanks,

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Maybe also watch the perms on the file itself.  We ran into an issue
with Blackberry backups a while back where the Blackberry Desktop
Manager somehow managed to convince the windows server that was hosting
them to change the permissions on the backup file to the user _only_
having access.

What's really odd about this is that the users don't have permission to
change permissions, and System/Administrators should have full rights by
inheritance.  Yet somehow a remote workstation managed to convince
windoze to bypass inheritance and the non-ability to change security
permissions.

At least on a linux box root can still access/modify the files but I had
a hell of a time getting them off the windoze box.

-=Andrew