[Samba] strange "couldn't find service" error message

Matt Ingram mingram at cbnco.com
Mon Jun 7 11:34:50 MDT 2010

Hi All.

This has got me stumped!!!

I created a share the other day like I do all the time.

There's about 10 users in the group.  All of them can access the share
fine, except for one guy. He's a valid user and has many other share
drives on this system that are working fine.  All 10 users are using a
Windows XP platform.

The log.smbd has an entry like this for his requests:

username (192.168.1.145) couldn't find service share-name for the folder

The "for the folder" part of the error stands out to me, but I don't
know what it means.

using smbclient locally (and remotely) I can map to this share using his
credentials fine..

the share in smb.conf looks like this

[share-name]
path=/usr/local/share/groups/share-name