[Samba] Slow domain logons with samba PDC

David BENTO nd.bento at free.fr
Mon Jun 7 01:50:57 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm using samba 3.4.7 on a debian stable with kernel version 2.6.26-2 smp
running on a P4 3.0Ghz with 1Go memory.
There are about 50 users in the domain, all worked fine til i upgrade from
samba 3.0.14 to samba 3.2.5 from the stable debian repository and then to
samba 3.4.7 from the lenny-backports rep, as i've already seen slow logon with
the samba 3.2.5.

here is the result of a testparm global section:
[global]
        unix charset = iso8859-15
        workgroup = XXXXX
        netbios name = SRV
        interfaces = eth1, lo
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/useraccount passwd %u -S
        passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *succ*
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%U
        max log size = 500
        server signing = auto
        load printers = No
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon drive = u:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
	dns proxy = yes

The delay from the time we authenticate to the message "Loading personal
settings" is between 10 and 20 seconds, and after everything works fine.
I can shortcut this delay by entering "Ctrl+alt+Suppr".

I don't see nothing in the log, if i tcpdump i don't see any network traffic
during this delay.

Before the problem appeared, logons took between 1 and 2 seconds.

Does someone has an idea of the problem?

Regards