[Samba] Unable to save MS Word documents with 3.5.x

Roel van Meer rolek at bokxing.nl
Wed Jun 2 03:14:07 MDT 2010

Hi list,

recently I upgraded about 20 of our samba servers from 3.3.7 to 3.5.[23].
Since then I have had two reports of people intermittently unable to save
microsoft Word documents.
I haven't been able to look at it thoroughly, since these issues were
immediately resolved by downgrading to 3.4.8. I also haven't been able to
reproduce it in our test lab yet, so I cannot provide any specifics yet.

However, the two customers with this problem both used samba in a particular
way:
One of them uses a MS Terminal server in the samba domain, so all
connections to samba come from the same IP address. The other uses normal
WinXP clients, but they all use the same username/password to connect to the
samba shares.

While I try to find what is happening here, I thought I'd just ask: is this
something that rings a bell, anyone?

Regards,

roel