[Samba] [Ubuntu 10.04] Share not visible from XP?

Gilles gilles.ganault at free.fr
Wed Jul 28 07:05:39 MDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:42:34 -0500, Chris Gonnerman
<chris at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:
>Go to Start, Run, and enter
>
>\\name-of-server\share
>
>then hit OK.  Of course, you should substitute the actual name of the
>server.  If it opens a window (with whatever is in /srv/samba visible in
>it), you're good.
>
>If that doesn't work, try
>
>\\name-of-server
>
>and let us know what you see.

Thanks Chris. Both return "The network path was not found."

Fact is, XP can't PING "ubuntu" and "C:\>net view" doesn't list the
Ubuntu host, although Samba is running WINS:

===========
# cat smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server %v
guest account = nobody
dns proxy = no

netbios name = UBUNTU
wins support = yes
remote announce = 192.168.0.255
security = user
;encrypt passwords = yes
;smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[share]
comment = Ubuntu File Server Share
path = /srv/samba
browsable = yes
guest ok = yes ;access will be permitted as the default guest user
read only = no
create mask = 0755

Am I correct in understanding that as long as ...
1. /etc/passd contains "nobody", /etc/group contains "nogroup"
2. /srv/samba/ is owned by nobody.nogroup

... the above smb.conf should display this share in Network
Neighborhood and let any user read/write to the directory by using
nobody.nogroup as user?

How does a Samba host advertise its NetBIOS name to the LAN?

Thank you.