[Samba] [Ubuntu 10.04] Share not visible from XP?

Chris Gonnerman chris at newcenturycomputers.net
Wed Jul 28 06:42:34 MDT 2010

On 07/28/2010 07:28 AM, Gilles wrote:
> I waited 15mn in case it was due to some browsing issue, but the
> directory I shared on a Ubuntu server still doesn't show up in the XP
> Net'hood, with no error when starting smbd or in
> /var/log/samba/log.smbd.

Are you expecting it to appear in the "My Network Places" list?  Windows
has an eccentric, unpredictable "schedule" for adding items there.

Go to Start, Run, and enter

\\name-of-server\share

then hit OK.  Of course, you should substitute the actual name of the
server.  If it opens a window (with whatever is in /srv/samba visible in
it), you're good.

If that doesn't work, try

\\name-of-server

and let us know what you see.