[Samba] windows 7 machine account fails to authenticate against samba PDC

graham graham8499 at ymail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:42:19 MST 2010

Gaiseric Vandal wrote on 03/02/2010 17:27:
> What samba version?

version 3.4.5

 > After you login from Win 7 can you actually open
> and save files?

yes. I'm not familiar enough with smb etc. to understand why the machine
itself is trying to authenticate in addition to the user, and whether it
matters.

> It does seem like it is trying to reauthenticate as an
> active directory client.
>
> Maybe config samba to only listen on port 139 and not 445 ("smb ports"
> in smb.conf.) That might force the Win 7 client to treat the samba
> server as a "NT4" server. I believe port 445 is for Smb-over-tcp while
> 139 is for smb-over-netbios-over-tcp.

I do have that set.
For completeness, the [global] config is:
	workgroup = SMBDOMAIN
	netbios name = SAMBASERVER
	server string =
	map to guest = Bad User
	username map = /etc/samba/username-map
	restrict anonymous = 1
	log level = 1
	smb ports = 139
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts
	time server = Yes
	printcap name = cups
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g sambausers -c
Machine -s /bin/false %u
	logon script = logon.bat
	logon path =
	logon home =