[Samba] (no subject) - DOS apps are failing on recent samba version

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Tue Feb 2 19:52:43 MST 2010

Am Dienstag 02 Februar 2010 23:56:06 schrieb James Hurlburt:
> Sirs:
>
> I have a Ubuntu 6.06 samba 3.0.22 file server running on linux.
> I am attempting to update the file server to ubuntu 8.10, samba 3.2.3.
> I have been attempting this, intermittently, for some time which is why
>  8.10.
>

> I have 10 MSDOS (mostly 6.22) workstations as a part of the network.
> The ones that have to run, control production machinery on the plant floor.
> Updating the operating system on those machines is effectivly impossible.
> There are some of them that run software that I control, most of them
> use vendor supplied software to control the older machines.
>
> They are using lanman 2.2 as the client software.
> (I have many xp workstations, they work fine with both systems.
> I can map drives, read and save and run the same dos exe files that the
> dos stations are failing on. Print stuff...)
>
> On the old server, the dos stations can log in and use network resources.
> Thus far, I have failed to make them work on the new server.
>
> The relevant parts of the smb.conf files for the servers are --
>
> The 3.0.22 server.  This one is the production server and the dos stations
>  work.
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from 10.23.0.118 (10.23.0.118)
> # Date: 2010/01/29 09:46:06
>
> [global]
> 	workgroup = ATRIUM-DW
> 	server string = Samba
> 	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> 	unix password sync = Yes
> 	change notify timeout = 30
> 	deadtime = 30
> 	printcap name = CUPS
> 	disable spoolss = Yes
> 	show add printer wizard = No
> 	ldap ssl = no
> 	case sensitive = No
>
> [bestbilt]
> 	comment = Mapped as U:
> 	path = /atrium/bestbilt
> 	valid users = @users
> 	force group = users
> 	read only = No
> 	create mask = 0664
> 	force create mode = 0664
> 	directory mask = 0775
> 	force directory mode = 0775
> 	oplocks = No
> 	level2 oplocks = No
> 	strict locking = No

> The 3.2.3 server
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from UNKNOWN ()
> # Date: 2010/02/02 13:20:51
>
> [global]
> 	workgroup = ATRIUM-DW
> 	guest account = bbijimhur
> 	lanman auth = Yes
> 	ldap ssl = no
>
> [bestbilt]
> 	comment = working production data
> 	path = /atrium/bestbilt
> 	username = bbijimhur
> 	valid users = @users
> 	force group = users
> 	read only = No
> 	guest ok = Yes
>
> [dosbbilt]
> 	comment = win94 for dos workstations
> [...]

1.) On your new server add the following to the [global] section of smb.conf:
    log level = 10

This will raise the debug level of samba - the log file(s) are usually written to
   /var/log/samba/log.smbd   (this might be different in your distro)

2.) Take a network sniff on your new server, details are here:
   http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets

Now do the failing DOS commands again.

The 1.) samba debug log might already be sufficient to track down the problem.

Better would be both - the samba debug 10 log and a corresponding network sniff.

To track that problem, please open a bug report at
   https://bugzilla.samba.org/

Cheers, Günter

If you've further questions, feel free to contact me at kukks at samba.org