[Samba] (no subject)

James Hurlburt hurlburtjl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 15:56:06 MST 2010

Sirs:

I have a Ubuntu 6.06 samba 3.0.22 file server running on linux.
I am attempting to update the file server to ubuntu 8.10, samba 3.2.3.
I have been attempting this, intermittently, for some time which is why 8.10.

I have 10 MSDOS (mostly 6.22) workstations as a part of the network.
The ones that have to run, control production machinery on the plant floor.
Updating the operating system on those machines is effectivly impossible.
There are some of them that run software that I control, most of them
use vendor supplied software to control the older machines.

They are using lanman 2.2 as the client software.
(I have many xp workstations, they work fine with both systems.
I can map drives, read and save and run the same dos exe files that the
dos stations are failing on. Print stuff...)

On the old server, the dos stations can log in and use network resources.
Thus far, I have failed to make them work on the new server.

The relevant parts of the smb.conf files for the servers are --

The 3.0.22 server.  This one is the production server and the dos stations work.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.23.0.118 (10.23.0.118)
# Date: 2010/01/29 09:46:06

[global]
	workgroup = ATRIUM-DW
	server string = Samba
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	unix password sync = Yes
	change notify timeout = 30
	deadtime = 30
	printcap name = CUPS
	disable spoolss = Yes
	show add printer wizard = No
	ldap ssl = no
	case sensitive = No

[bestbilt]
	comment = Mapped as U:
	path = /atrium/bestbilt
	valid users = @users
	force group = users
	read only = No
	create mask = 0664
	force create mode = 0664
	directory mask = 0775
	force directory mode = 0775
	oplocks = No
	level2 oplocks = No
	strict locking = No

The 3.2.3 server

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN ()
# Date: 2010/02/02 13:20:51

[global]
	workgroup = ATRIUM-DW
	guest account = bbijimhur
	lanman auth = Yes
	ldap ssl = no

[bestbilt]
	comment = working production data
	path = /atrium/bestbilt
	username = bbijimhur
	valid users = @users
	force group = users
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[dosbbilt]
	comment = win94 for dos workstations
	path = /atrium/bestbilt
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

This smb.conf file is the best one I have been able to create
for the dos stations.

With it, I can log in and map the drive.
net use u: \\bbi-sam-2-srv\bestbilt

I can do directory listings and change directory to u:\win94

When I attempt to run a dos program (tracking.exe) I get the following

u:\win94\>  Tracking

NET805: NETWORK DEVICE NO LONGER EXISTS READING DRIVE U

Abort, Retry, Fail?

Access denied.

I have much the same error if I put the executable on the local drive and
attempt to use shared .dbf data files from the server.

I can connect to the old server with the same box.
It takes a few minutes to change all the config files for lanman, but it works.

On the old server, I can login, map the drives and run executables and
use the dbf data files.

It seems to me as if there is some configuration flag where the default has
from 3.0 to 3.2 that I can't find.

I did a detailed view of both config files from swat and ran a dif on them.
I was unable to identify a place that could be changed that would allow the
dos machines to utilize the samba file server.

I am willing to use either different client software on the dos stations, or
update the samba setup to a different version.
I like ubuntu, but am not wedded to it.

However, the dos stations must stay, even if I must maintain a server with 3.0
on it to keep them running.

Any ideas?  I am more that willing to RTFM, but have exausted my ideas of
which FM and which part of it to read.  Hints in this matter would be welcome.
Hints on which config option in smb.conf would be even more welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Hurlburt
Atrium Windows and Doors Northwest.
Yakima, WA  USA