[Samba] Need Help Getting Windows XP To Use Samba Properly [Closed]

Hodges, Robert CTR USAF AFMC 520 SMXS/MXDEC robert.hodges.ctr at hill.af.mil
Thu Dec 30 12:29:53 MST 2010

Well, here's what's happening.

Microsoft Tech Support confirms that this is a problem with Windows XP.
There is no fix, and I don't expect one coming considering XP's end of
life in 2012.  All Microsoft has are workarounds.

Microsoft's recommendations are to add more servers to the mix (DNS,
WINS, etc) and if that doesn't work, then one of their several
"workarounds" is to dump the use of Samba altogether.  None of the
proposed workarounds work for us, we're locked into a specific
configuration.

So both Microsoft and my shop are throwing in the towel on this one and
we're resorting to simply mapping to all the shares instead of having
users browse to them.  Sounds simple, but this represents a huge config
and documentation change on many levels for us, a lot bigger than anyone
could know.  A very frustrating and expensive workaround if you knew the
scope.

This decision to pull the plug was made after I came across an online
forum where someone had this very same issue, worked with Microsoft Tech
Support for 7 months(!), and it never got resolved.

So, it sucks to be me.

You folks are AWESOME, and came up with much better ideas that Microsoft
did, but still to no avail.

You all have my unwavering respect and thanks, and I really mean it.

-  Bob