[Samba] Need Help Getting Windows XP To Use Samba Properly [Closed]

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Dec 30 15:03:33 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 12:29:53PM -0700, Hodges, Robert CTR USAF AFMC 520 SMXS/MXDEC wrote:
> Well, here's what's happening.
>
> Microsoft Tech Support confirms that this is a problem with Windows XP.
> There is no fix, and I don't expect one coming considering XP's end of
> life in 2012.  All Microsoft has are workarounds.

Don't throw in the towel just yet. I've never seen a WindowsXP
box that won't work with Samba, we just need more info.

> Microsoft's recommendations are to add more servers to the mix (DNS,
> WINS, etc) and if that doesn't work, then one of their several
> "workarounds" is to dump the use of Samba altogether.  None of the
> proposed workarounds work for us, we're locked into a specific
> configuration.
>
> So both Microsoft and my shop are throwing in the towel on this one and
> we're resorting to simply mapping to all the shares instead of having
> users browse to them.  Sounds simple, but this represents a huge config
> and documentation change on many levels for us, a lot bigger than anyone
> could know.  A very frustrating and expensive workaround if you knew the
> scope.

Don't do this yet. I haven't seen any debug logs from
you, or a network trace. Changing your config without
proper investigation is completely premature IMHO.

> This decision to pull the plug was made after I came across an online
> forum where someone had this very same issue, worked with Microsoft Tech
> Support for 7 months(!), and it never got resolved.

We have been networking Windowx XP boxes to Samba
for longer than anyone still working in Microsoft
Tech support, trust me on that :-). So I'd still
like to fix this properly.

> So, it sucks to be me.

Please get the network trace and debug level 10 log
of the Windows XP box trying to connect to Samba, this
should give us the information we need to fix it.

Jeremy.