[Samba] Samba crashes & floods logfiles: "smbd/notify_inotify.c:244(inotify_handler) - No data on inotify fd?!"

Andrew Masterson Andrew.Masterson at nuvistaenergy.com
Thu Dec 30 09:53:02 MST 2010

> 3. Did I do anything wrong, or is this a problem with the standard
> kernel included in openSUSE 11.2? Is there anything I can do about it?

This problem has been around for several years on RHEL as well - I
suspect it is a kernel<->samba issue.

http://forum.soft32.com/linux/Samba-Samba-logs-fill-disk-inotify-errors-
smbd-100-CPU-ftopict479508.html

Every box I build now has that setting turned on.  I occasionally turn
it off to see if there are still issues, and every time it comes back -
so it's still an issue AFAIK.

> 4. Is this problem in any kind related to my other problem posted in
> this list with subject "PDC unreliable - Connection interruptions,
many
> error messages" at 2010-12-29 - 21:15 EET?

Possibly.

-=Andrew