[Samba] Samba crashes & floods logfiles: "smbd/notify_inotify.c:244(inotify_handler) - No data on inotify fd?!"

Wed Dec 29 15:03:08 MST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:31:16PM +0200, Tom H. Lautenbacher wrote:
> 1a). Is it correct that "kernel change notify" is a "per share"
> setting and not in the [global] section, so that I will have to put
> this setting in each of my share-definitions?
>
> 1b). If it is not a [global] but a per-share-setting: Do I have
> place this setting only in all sections of my custom shares or also
> in the "special" shares [homes], [profiles] & [netlogon]?

It's a global setting, putting it into [global] once is
enough.

> 2. Is it correct that if I do insert "kernel change notify = No" to
> my shares, that I won't be able to see changes in the folders from
> my Windows Clients, but I will have to manually trigger a refresh
> ("F5") each time I want to see if changes have occured? E.g. if many
> users save files to a share, I won't see those new files until I
> trigger a refresh manually? Or is it only concerning the changes
> that a linux-process might have performed, e.g. a cronjob that
> copied a file into a share?

It's the latter. If other cifs clients change something,
it should still work.

> 3. Did I do anything wrong, or is this a problem with the standard
> kernel included in openSUSE 11.2? Is there anything I can do about
> it?

Not sure here. Very likely not your fault, but I would need
to see a box where this happens myself to be 100% sure.

> 4. Is this problem in any kind related to my other problem posted in
> this list with subject "PDC unreliable - Connection
> interruptions,	many error messages" at 2010-12-29 - 21:15 EET?

Haven't really followed that one, sorry.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9