[Samba] Samba crashes & floods logfiles: "smbd/notify_inotify.c:244(inotify_handler) - No data on inotify fd?!"

Wed Dec 29 14:31:16 MST 2010

On 2010-12-29 21:43, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 07:52:58PM +0200, Tom H. Lautenbacher wrote:
>> What happens is that all over a sudden Samba floods
>> /var/log/messages and /var/log/warn with the following message
>>
>> smbd[19724]: smbd/notify_inotify.c:244(inotify_handler)
>> smbd[19724]: No data on inotify fd?!

> As far as I know there's a kernel problem. Try "kernel
> change notify = no". The catch is that you won't see the
> changes done by Unix process.

Hello Volker,

thank you very much for your time!

I looked up "kernel change notify" in the manpage of smb.conf and have
some questions:

1a). Is it correct that "kernel change notify" is a "per share" setting
and not in the [global] section, so that I will have to put this setting
in each of my share-definitions?

1b). If it is not a [global] but a per-share-setting: Do I have place
this setting only in all sections of my custom shares or also in the
"special" shares [homes], [profiles] & [netlogon]?

2. Is it correct that if I do insert "kernel change notify = No" to my
shares, that I won't be able to see changes in the folders from my
Windows Clients, but I will have to manually trigger a refresh ("F5")
each time I want to see if changes have occured? E.g. if many users save
files to a share, I won't see those new files until I trigger a refresh
manually? Or is it only concerning the changes that a linux-process
might have performed, e.g. a cronjob that copied a file into a share?

3. Did I do anything wrong, or is this a problem with the standard
kernel included in openSUSE 11.2? Is there anything I can do about it?

4. Is this problem in any kind related to my other problem posted in
this list with subject "PDC unreliable - Connection interruptions,	many
error messages" at 2010-12-29 - 21:15 EET?

Thank you for any info about this!

Best regards
Tom