[Samba] Need Help Getting Windows XP To Use Samba Properly

Hodges, Robert CTR USAF AFMC 520 SMXS/MXDEC robert.hodges.ctr at hill.af.mil
Tue Dec 28 12:23:35 MST 2010

John,

First, thank you for the response.  I'll take any help I can get.

Yes, I do have WINS enabled on the Samba box.

Do I set WinXP to use the Samba box as the WINS server?  If so, then I have already tried this and it didn't work.

Other details:  I do not use a DNS server, I use the hosts file in XP.  The Samba box and the WinXP box simply share a worgroup name.  Trying to keep this as simplistic as possible.

Also, the "Computer Browser" service is disabled in XP - this is to force WinXP to use the Samba server as the master browser, and is the method I used in Win2K which worked great.  In XP, however, it produces the error "Network name is no longer available".  Enabling the service causes XP to elect itself as the master browser and ignore the Samba box (which I want to be master browser like it was with Win2K).  This improves things SOMETIMES - the "Network name" error still pops up half the time, meaning network browsing of the Samba box from XP went from "100% broken" to "Cross your fingers".

REALLY desperate to get this working.

MAJOR thanks to anyone who can help me with this, especially since the internet is loaded with people who have posted for help on this problem and no solutions follow.