[Samba] smbd on a battery-powered device

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 15 02:31:46 MST 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 12:37 -0800, Liam wrote:
> I'm setting up samba service on a battery-powered WiFi device. The
> plan is to have it wake-on-lan, handle request, sleep. Anyone have
> experience with this?
>
> Are there smb protocol aspects that preclude server sleep between
> client-initiated exchanges?
>
> My server won't be awake to respond to netbios broadcasts, e.g. for
> name resolution. Can I shut off that service, and have clients access
> \\192.168.0.10\share? Can I shut off everything but the smb session
> service?
>
> Alternatively I could start/stop the server on demand, since I know
> when a client wants a file via smb. Is samba startup efficient, or
> cpu/disk-intensive?

The inetd mode would seem to be the best way to handle this.  Then your
inetd or replacement can handle starting smbd.  Just watch out that
clients may keep a connection open for quite some time while not
actually using it.

(I don't have personal experience with this setup, but wanted to give
you some hints about where to start).

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.