[Samba] smbd on a battery-powered device

Liam pubsub at networkimprov.net
Mon Dec 13 13:37:39 MST 2010

I'm setting up samba service on a battery-powered WiFi device. The
plan is to have it wake-on-lan, handle request, sleep. Anyone have
experience with this?

Are there smb protocol aspects that preclude server sleep between
client-initiated exchanges?

My server won't be awake to respond to netbios broadcasts, e.g. for
name resolution. Can I shut off that service, and have clients access
\\192.168.0.10\share? Can I shut off everything but the smb session
service?

Alternatively I could start/stop the server on demand, since I know
when a client wants a file via smb. Is samba startup efficient, or
cpu/disk-intensive?