[Samba] Doubt on Samba and NFS configuration

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Aug 28 10:53:05 MDT 2010

At Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:58:07 +0000 "Gangiredla, Venkata Ravi Shankar" <ravishankar.g at hp.com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I have doubt on samba and nfs co-existence on a server. I have read
> couple of posts in the internet and found that nfs and samba doesn't
> understand file locking mechanisms of each other.

Samba and nfs can co-exist on *a* server without problems. There is no
problem for a given machine exporting the same file system with both
samba and nfs.  The problems are when a given machine imports with one
service (is in the 'client' role) and exports with the other (is in the
'server' role).

> Following is my requirement
>
> I have a vxfs filesystem /interfaces which is exported to 3 unix
> servers using nfs
>
> Now the customer, wants to export /interfaces/outbound to 4 windows
> servers using SAMBA.

This should not be a problem, at least as I understand what you are
doing (it is a little unclear the way you have stated things).

I am assuming that you have some server 'master', which mounts
/interfaces as a local (to 'master'), and it exports this to three unix
servers ('unix_a', 'unix_b', and 'unix_c'), that is on master in
/etc/exports you have something like:

/interfaces unix_a(rw),unix_b(rw),unix_c(rw)

and now you want to install samba on master and have a block like:

[outbound]
	path = /interfaces/outbound

in master's /etc/samba/smb.conf

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933