[Samba] Doubt on Samba and NFS configuration

Gangiredla, Venkata Ravi Shankar ravishankar.g at hp.com
Thu Aug 26 04:58:07 MDT 2010

Hi Team,

I have doubt on samba and nfs co-existence on a server. I have read couple of posts in the internet and found that nfs and samba doesn't understand file locking mechanisms of each other.

Following is my requirement

I have a vxfs filesystem /interfaces which is exported to 3 unix servers using nfs

Now the customer, wants to export /interfaces/outbound to 4 windows servers using SAMBA.

Following is the NFS and SAMBA version

  CIFS-Server           A.02.02.01     HP CIFS Server (Samba) File and Print Services
  NFS                   B.11.23        ONC/NFS; Network-File System,Information Services,Utilities

Can we export /interfaces/outbound using SAMBA? Are there any known issues with NFS and SAMBA

Thank you,

Ravi.