[Samba] Samba 3.4.7 in Ubuntu 10.04 and WinBindd

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Aug 26 12:57:44 MDT 2010

Perhaps I did not ask my question in the correct syntax... let's try again.

Now I am suspecting that WinBindd that is a part of the Samba 3.4.7 packages / Ubuntu 10.04 is causing a couple of minutes of login delays after the server boots up.

Since I do not remember ever running WinBindd before, and since it seems to be causing troubles, what is the correct way to disable WinBindd until such a time I need to use it?

<><><>

About the login troubles, in case it is NOT WinBindd related:

I am able to start login in via console / ssh, enter my ID/pw, and then the session HANGS.

I configured a script to dump a "ps aux" output to a date-time stamped log file. The server fully booted - snapshot - the login completed - another snapshot.

In the first snapshot, I do not see winbindd process in the list, in the second snapshot I do.

Also no Samba shares may be successfully accessed while the "login hang" persists. After the server allows logins via console / ssh, Samba shares are accessible.

Suggestion? Thanks!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems