[Samba] Windows Vista keeps on deleting cached roaming profile

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Wed Aug 18 10:25:01 MDT 2010

> I have a couple of Windows Vista Computers that i freshly (re)installed,
> updated to SP2 + all updates, and joined to my domain...
> i also got an empty profile on the server (the storage folder is
there, but
> there are no files inside)

Read through this thread:

  http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2010-May/156130.html

and see if anything in there helps.  Note, use "sort by subject" and
read all entries in the thread, the thread links do not always find all
thread entries.

Relevant parts of my smb.conf:

        logon script = scripts\everybody.bat
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U\%a
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        csc policy = disable
        hide files = /desktop.ini/Desktop.ini/

[netlogon]
        comment = Contains login script which just mounts PDB area
        path = /u1/usr/netlogon

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

[profiles]
        comment = user's profile directories, by windows version
        path = /u1/usr/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No
        browsable = No
        profile acls = Yes

Home directories are in /u1/usr/people, profiles are in
/u1/usr/profiles.  For reasons I do not recall the file protections are
a little odd in profiles:

ls -al profiles  #edited to just show one user entry
total 16
drwxr-xrwx 4 root   root     4096 2010-05-27 09:48 ./
drwxrwxr-x 5 root   root     4096 2010-05-12 15:32 ../
drwx------ 4 mathog biostaff 4096 2010-05-27 15:12 mathog/

My everybody.bat file is irrelevant to your problem, all it does is
mount a data directory from the samba server.  However, if you have a
script in there it could conceivably be causing problems if it causes
errors.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu