[Samba] Symlinks, W2K8 server, Linux client

justin_samba at jacp1.com justin_samba at jacp1.com
Mon Aug 16 09:58:18 MDT 2010

I have a Windows 2008 server where as administrator I can create symlinks
using the mklink command. However if I mount a volume shared out from this
server onto a linux box using mount -t cifs and then try to create
symlinks (inside the shared directory) using ln -s I get a  'ln: creating
symbolic link `test_symlink': Operation not supported' error. I've heard
that smb1 does not handle symlinks even if ntfs does. I've tried putting
max protocol=smb2 into my smb.conf, but I'm not sure whether 'mount -t
cifs' even uses the samba code/configuration file or whether its a
separate implementation.

My samba version is 3.5.4 on fedora 13. Cifs is 1.62.
I see a lot of comments about 'follow symlinks' and 'unix extensions' in
related queries, but I suspect these are all to do with samba SERVERs on
linux, whereas I have a linux client and a windows server.

How can I make this work?