[Samba] nslookup from Windows resolves domain and pdc correctly but still gets cannot contact on samba 3.2.5-4 on lenny

Zoolook nbensa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 17:26:14 MDT 2010

2010/4/28 Siju George <sgeorge.ml at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Zoolook <nbensa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hint:  interfaces
>>

> Could you please explain?

yes of course. I'm sorry I didn't before. I was traveling and my phone
is not the best device to write an email (touch screens REAAAAALLLY
s*cks)

Basically, and just from my experience, /32 doesn't do what you think it does.

If you want samba to listen on certain ip/net range, just do:

interfaces = 172.16.2.0/12

and it will do the right thing (unless your server have more than one
ip on 172.16.2.0/12)

I'm actually surprised that 172.16.2.0/32 does serve your clients. I
tried that configuration a few years back and it didn't work at all
(samba 3.0.1something on debian)

Also, I remember having problems with domain subfixes named .local;
perhaps you'd like to rename it to .localdomain (I hope this is a test
network...)

Oh. And you don't have a "wins support = yes" (default is no IIRC)

What's the output of:

smbclient -L 172.16.2.0 -U%
nmblookup -A 172.16.2.0

?