[Samba] nslookup from Windows resolves domain and pdc correctly but still gets cannot contact on samba 3.2.5-4 on lenny

Siju George sgeorge.ml at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 23:46:45 MDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 4:56 AM, Zoolook <nbensa at gmail.com> wrote:
> yes of course. I'm sorry I didn't before. I was traveling and my phone
> is not the best device to write an email (touch screens REAAAAALLLY
> s*cks)

Thanks a million norberto :-)

> What's the output of:
>
> smbclient -L 172.16.2.0 -U%

I typed this from another machine and not from 172.16.2.0

]$ smbclient -L 172.16.2.0 -U%
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/etc/samba/smb.conf":
        No such file or directory
smbclient: Can't load /etc/samba/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
Domain=[HIFXNX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        www-old         Disk      www from devsrv and tutoromsrv
        misc-old        Disk      www from devsrv and tutoromsrv
        misc            Disk      www from devsrv and tutoromsrv
        shopping        Disk
        tusers          Disk      tusers
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (HIFXNX Domain
Controller, PHP Development Server, Subversion Server, DNS Server)
Domain=[HIFXNX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        HIFXNXDC             HIFXNX Domain Controller, PHP Development Server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        HIFXNX               HIFXNXDC

> nmblookup -A 172.16.2.0

Looking up status of 172.16.2.0
        HIFXNXDC        <00> -         B <ACTIVE>
        HIFXNXDC        <03> -         B <ACTIVE>
        HIFXNXDC        <20> -         B <ACTIVE>
        ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
        HIFXNX          <1d> -         B <ACTIVE>
        HIFXNX          <1b> -         B <ACTIVE>
        HIFXNX          <1c> -         B <ACTIVE>
        HIFXNX          <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
        HIFXNX          <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>

        MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

Thanks Again :-)

--Siju