[Samba] Samba 3.0.22 - slow performance - Really urgent help

Thu Apr 1 04:48:03 MDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 06:22:34PM +0800, Alan Pek wrote:
> a) Though the CPU utilisation is not high but there memory used and
> swapped are very high. This will slow it down further.
>
> b) Think every samba connection will consume a considerable amout of
> memory as well.

The rough estimate here is that Samba should have 2-3MB real
RAM per client. If your smbds use a lot more, you might be
hitting a memleak that might be fixed in later versions.
3.0.22 is very old, I would really recommend looking at
3.4.7 or 3.5.2 (next week).

> c) We did a test, by saving a huge number of files onto local drive (on
> enduser PC) and the copy into the mapped drives This is much faster,
> probably by factor 6 or more, then using Excel marco
> and writing directly into the samba share over NFS.

Do you have oplocks disabled? This would severely impact
performance. If you don't have concurrent NFS clients
accessing the same data, you might also want to try

posix locking = no

> d) Looking at the system, and samba processes,  how should I do a truss
> with high-resolution timestamps on the smbd processes ? Every smbd process
> ?
> Just do :
>
>         truss -p 20995 without any option ?

Not sure how truss really works, in Linux you would do a

strace -ttT -p 20995 -o smbd.out

You pick a single smbd with "smbstatus" and run your test.
The truss output will need some interpretation though.

> e)  Network tracing , meaning application profiling by putting a sniffer,
> or/and snoop on both samba and nfs side ?

Yes. Best done on the samba server box itself.

BTW, before you send stuff to the list -- both the truss and
the network sniffer output will probably contain sensitive
data.

Volker