[Samba] Samba 3.0.22 - slow performance - Really urgent help

Thu Apr 1 03:48:36 MDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 05:24:26PM +0800, Alan Pek wrote:
> Have been struggling with this for the past 10 days, we are running Samba
> 3.0.22 on VCS zone, we have end users saving files
> onto Samba mapped drive, and complained that it 5mins to save 300 files,
> now it takes 30 mins.  There is recently a change in the
> topology.
>
> Before
>
>         Enduser ----------- samba mapped -------------- server (local
> attached storage)
>                                                       physical
>                                                       Solaris 8
> Now
>
>         Enduser-------------samba mapped ------------  server
> ------------------------------ SFCFS/HA
>                                                      virtual VCS NFS
> cluster
>                                                      Solaris 10
>

>         We have reverted the NFS from version 4 to 3
>
>         Fine tune Samba, wb and rb are at 64k
>
>         Is there in samba log somewhere to tell me why is the bottleneck ?
>
>         If I move the Samba server which is less loaded in Memory
> consumption , will it help.
>         Is the above degrading expected ?

Some slow-down is expected if you re-export NFS because the
data will travel over the network twice instead of once. A
factor of 6 is a bit more than is expected though. To see
where the bottleneck is, it might be interesting to look at
simultaneous network traces for the SMB and NFS side of your
Samba server to see what NFS requests are triggered by what
SMB requests. Doing a truss with high-resolution timestamps
on the smbd processes might also give hints. Next would be
to look at "top" (pstat?) if there is a local CPU bottleneck
on the Samba server. There's just many things that can go
slow, and in a moderatly complex environment (HA clusters
fall into this category), this can be an interesting hunt
:-)

Volker