[Samba] samba authentication via pam_pwdfile

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Sep 29 04:47:55 MDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 18:37 -0400, Charles Yost wrote:
> I'm attempting to setup samba authentication via PAM and more
> specifically the pam_pwdfile module. So far I have had trouble
> determining the right mix of global settings to get this to work. I
> have read through many tutorials online, but so far I have not found
> good documentation on how to achieve this.

Because it doesn't work;  at least not without hacking every Windows
client.  [Does that even still work anymore?  I don't know,  it really
is not a reasonable/maintainable thing to do].

You need to either setup an LDAP DSA and use that for authentication and
have Samba use that too (as a DC).  Or setup Samba as a NT4 PDC and use
that for authentication.  PAM is, practically speaking, a lost cause for
Windows clients - for technical/implementation reasons it can't work
well.

OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @