[Samba] samba authentication via pam_pwdfile

Charles Yost cyost at softwareauthority.com
Mon Sep 28 16:37:17 MDT 2009

I'm attempting to setup samba authentication via PAM and more
specifically the pam_pwdfile module. So far I have had trouble
determining the right mix of global settings to get this to work. I
have read through many tutorials online, but so far I have not found
good documentation on how to achieve this. What I am really attempting
to do is unify the credentials for access to the server though ftp,
apache, and samba. I _do not_ want to link the linux shell credentials
to this for various reasons including security. Any helpful
suggestions would be appreciated.
=>Charles