[Samba] Broken samba

Bob Williams linux at barrowhillfarm.org.uk
Sat Sep 26 03:09:15 MDT 2009

Hi Adam,

On Thursday 24 September 2009 02:56:42 Adam Nielsen wrote:
> > The following makes me think my samba installation is seriously broken,
> > but I don't where to start looking to fix it...
> >
> > barrowhillfarm:~ # smbd restart
> > Aborted (core dumped)
>
> Possibly one of the libraries that Samba uses has been upgraded, and
> Samba is still accessing it as if it was the old version.
>
> Recompiling Samba should fix the problem, and is a good excuse to
> upgrade to the latest release while you're at it.

I've upgraded to version 3.4, but I'm still having problems. The testparm
command gives the following output:

barrowhillfarm:~ # testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[profiles]"
Processing section "[users]"
Processing section "[groups]"
Processing section "[pictures]"
Processing section "[tmp]"
Loaded services file OK.
ERROR: lock directory file:///var/lib/samba does not exist
ERROR: state directory file:///var/lib/samba does not exist
ERROR: cache directory file:///var/lib/samba does not exist
ERROR: pid directory file:///var/run/samba does not exist
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

Why are those lock, state, cache and pid directory files missing? I can't
believe I'm supposed to create them myself ;) The testparm command was run as
root, so it can't be a permissions problem.

Any more suggestions, please?

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880		FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E