[Samba] Samba PDC + OpenLDAP, Jaunty: Can't join domain

Christopher Swingley cswingle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 13:29:35 MDT 2009

> But I can't seem to join a computer to the domain, and I've run out of
> ideas.  I'd like some help trying to identify where I've gone wrong
> and how to get the server to allow desktops to join.

Sorry to reply to my own post.  I figured out my problem:

    $ smbclient -L //newserv
    Domain=[TESTDOM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.3.2]

            Server               Comment
            ---------            -------
            NEWSERV              newserv server (Samba, Ubuntu)

            Workgroup            Master
            ---------            -------
   -        TESTDOM              DESKTOP
   +        TESTDOM              NEWSERV

In other words, I had another "test" machine that was acting as the
domain master.  Nothing I did on the new server made any difference
because joining to the domain was going to the wrong place.

Cheers,

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley