[Samba] Share Permission Issue

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Sun Sep 13 19:25:18 MDT 2009

>         inherit permissions = yes

I've never used "inherit permissions" but I do have "inherit owner" set
and I don't have any problems with delete access.

I did have a problem like this when I first set Samba up, but I can't
remember what the solution was.  I *think* it had something to do with
Samba checking access instead of letting the filesystem do it.  When it
was changed to allow everything and rely on the filesystem to block
access everything worked fine.  Maybe that's what "public=yes" and
"writable=yes" are doing on that share...

> g+w gives the ability to create files within a directory and o+w grants the
> ability to delete from directory.
>
> I do not want to grant other write access but that seems to be the only way
> I can maintain the ability to remove files from the share.

Well a workaround would be to create a folder higher up as 0070, which
would mean only people of that group could see inside it.  Then it
doesn't really matter whether "others" can write into your real folders,
because they won't be able to get past the 0070 folder.

> CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
> Samba Version 3.0.33-3.7.el5_3.1

Maybe try a new version?

Cheers,