[Samba] Share Permission Issue

tank009 dapigliav at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 4 22:39:07 MDT 2009

I have some strange behavior with a samba share that I have been unable to
explain.  The system is joined to an AD domain and configured to use winbind
and ldap.  I can login to the system with a domain user and filesystem
permissions function as expected.  When I create a samba share I can create
files but only delete if the user account is the owner of the parent folder
or other has write permission.  Granting permission via group will permit me
read and create but not delete.

[data01]
        comment = data01 share
        path = /shared/data01
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = no
        writable = yes
        valid users = +Domain\IT
        inherit permissions = yes

When connected from an XP system with user user the following happens.

Can create but not delete from directory:
d---rwx--- 2 root         IT   3896 Sep  5 00:05 data01

Can create and delete from directory:
d---rwx-w- 2 root         IT   3896 Sep  5 00:05 data01

Can delete but can't create in directory:
d---r-x-w- 2 root         IT   3896 Sep  5 00:19 test

Can't see directory contents:
d------rwx 2 root         IT   3896 Sep  5 00:05 data01

Create and delete files as expected:
drwx------ 2 user         IT   3896 Sep  5 00:32 test

g+w gives the ability to create files within a directory and o+w grants the
ability to delete from directory.

I do not want to grant other write access but that seems to be the only way
I can maintain the ability to remove files from the share.

CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
Samba Version 3.0.33-3.7.el5_3.1

Thanks,
Dave