[Samba] Missing sids for domain administrator?

Ian Puleston ipuleston at SonicWALL.com
Fri Oct 30 22:11:07 MDT 2009

Darn, that gave me an idea and I thought I'd cracked it. I think that I
do have the group mappings properly set:

[root at ian-linux samba]# net groupmap list
Administrators (S-1-5-32-544) -> BUILTIN+administrators
Users (S-1-5-32-545) -> BUILTIN+users

But when I do the same using the locally built version of the net
utility:

[Ian at ian-linux source]$ sudo bin/net groupmap list
Administrators (S-1-5-32-544) -> 647

So this would imply that the locally built version, and therefore by
implication the locally built version of smbd too, is using a different
group mappings file to the distro version, and that would explain why it
works with the distro smbd, but not with the one that I built.

However, I re-set the group mappings using the locally built net to be
the same as above, but unfortunately that didn't help - I still don't
see the S-1-5-32-544/545 sids :-(

> Please upload a debug level 10 log of all the versions you tested at
> least up to the point where the user token is listed.

I've uploaded them to:
http://diverian.tripod.com/home/Files/samba-logs/smbd.log.txt
http://diverian.tripod.com/home/Files/samba-logs/__ffff_192.168.168.3.lo
g.txt
http://diverian.tripod.com/home/Files/samba-logs/smbd.log.txt

But I have things working fine now with a build made using rpmbuild, so
unless you think there may be a bug somewhere, don't waste any
significant time on this.

Thanks,
Ian