[Samba] Windows 7

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Tue Oct 27 01:49:03 MDT 2009

Hi Jonathon,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 02:50:07PM -0500, Jonathon Doran wrote:
> A while back, Volker sent out the following:

> That won't work. Your only chance is Samba 3.3.4 with
>
>        HKLM\System\CCS\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
>            DWORD  DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
>            DWORD  DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0
>
>        HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
>            DWORD  RequireSignOnSeal = 0
>            DWORD  RequireStrongKey = 0
>
> Haven't tested that yet, but you should get some steps
> further.
>
> Volker
> I gave it a shot this afternoon, and was able to get to the "Welcome to the
> XXX domain"
> message.  Afterwards I immediately received an error "Changing the primary
> DNS name of
> this computer to "" failed.  The specified domain does not exist, or could
> not be
> contacted."
>
> Just an FYI for those interested.

this message can be ignored.
Günther created a Wiki entry about Samba3 and Windows 7. Please see
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7 for details.

> Attempts to logon afterwards were met with an error about not being able to
> establish a
> trust relationship with the server.

Currently, there are some issues concerning trust relationships with
Windows 2008 (R2) servers. Some of these are fixed in Samba 3.3.9 and will
be fixed in Samba 3.4.3 (scheduled for Thursday). Maybe you would like to
retest with Samba 3.4.3...

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Karolin