[Samba] tdb locking issue - Solaris 10 and Samba 3.0.33

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Fri Oct 23 16:28:18 MDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 03:21:35PM -0700, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 03:19:03PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> > Hmm, yes, there is some of that.  I guess I was thrown off by the fact
> > that the lock appeared to be on the .tdb file and the .tdb file
> > wouldn't be accessed by any NFS client.
> >
> > Could another process be holding the lock on the .tdb file while it
> > waits for access to the underlying file within the requested share?
>
> That's exactly what I'm thinking. An smbd holding the
> brlock.tdb lock, waiting for pread while your NFS server has
> gone to lunch.
>
> Volker

I bet you're right.  So theoretically if I figure out how to track down
that lock, it is likely held by my NFS server...

Hrm.  But would it make sense that other smbd processes are apparently
still accessing brlock.tdb OK for different files?

My low level understanding of the locking is lacking a bit. :)

Anyways, I'm guessing if this turns out to be NFS related as we
suspect, the only fix is to _not_ share with NFS. :)

Ray