[Samba] winbind causes Linux to lockup when connectivity to AD is lost (subject line edited for clarity)

Matthew J. Salerno vagabond_king at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 16 16:54:39 MDT 2009

Your  /etc/nsswitch.conf looks correct to me.  For services like ssh, you should just disable ptr lookups (VerifyReverseMapping no).  Regarding winbind, do you have any services or processes running on the box as a domain user?  Perhaps there is a timeout setting for krb and winbind.  I don't recall seeing one for winbind, but I would imagine that there is one for kerberos.  Have you bumped up the debugging and purposefully caused an ad failure (ifdown or bad route) ?  Have you had the console open and watched top to see if it's a processes consuming to much cpu?  What kind of troubleshooting have you done?  and what are the results?