[Samba] Unknown panic actions

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 18:57:12 MDT 2009

2009/10/10 Ralph Kutschera <news2008 at ecuapac.dyndns.org>:
> Noone got an idea?
>
> *push* *push* :)
>
> Ralph Kutschera schrieb:
>>
>> Dear list,
>>
>>  I have Debian Etch with Samba Version 3.0.24 configured as a PDC.
>>
>> Every day I get exactly 9 emails with panic action:
>>
>>> The Samba 'panic action' script, /usr/share/samba/panic-action,
>>> was called for PID 4170 ().
>>>
>>> This means there was a problem with the program, such as a segfault.
>>> However, the executable could not be found for process 4170.
>>> It may have died unexpectedly, or you may not have permission to debug
>>> the process.
>>
>> All emails are sent at the same time usually in the morning between 7:30
>> and 8:30.

My wild guess is cron or anacron or something like that is running
something that is somehow interfering with Samba.  What happens around
that time?  What's in /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog,
/var/log/daemon.log, etc?

>> I cannot find anything dubious within the logfiles (samba's and syslog)
>> nor do I recognize any functional errors.

OK, but can you find anything that always seems to happen around the same time?

Otherwise, try to figure out why the "executable could not be found
for process 4170" happens.  If you could get a stack trace out of it
someone might be able to help you figure out what's going wrong.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>