[Samba] Desiring to set up Windows Vista and Linux Fedora Core 4

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 07:59:33 MDT 2009

2009/10/10 Barry L. Bond <bbond at cfl.rr.com>:
> Hi Gary!
[...]
>     I just now read a previous post from you that also indicated concerns
> with my running FC4, that I missed before.
> [...] I'm afraid I'm in an "if it works, don't fix it" mode...

Just bear in mind that sometimes the problems you have when trying to
set something new up could in part be caused by the old versions you
are restricted to because you are running an old distribution.  Of
course upgrading is not guaranteed to fix your Samba problems and
could cause other stuff to break :)

>     By "backport" do you mean a more recent version of Samba that will
> work in FC4?

Yes, that's exactly what he means.  I do not know off hand where you'd
find it, though.

>>It sounds like you are using FC4 as a file & print server. All you need
>>to do on it is share the resources (folders and printers) and set up the
>>permissions and accounts (if required).
>
>     On the Windows, I did do some things along this line (setting up
> sharing) last week...

He did not mean that you should create shares on the Windows machine,
but that you just need to share your printer and e.g. your home
directory on the Linux machine, as you have done.

>>You don't mention which version of Vista you are using, and I don't know
>>if they crippled certain versions like they did with XP to prevent them
>>from joining domains. However, if you can join Vista to a domain,
>>install and use SWAT to set up Samba as a domain controller and use it
>>to log in from Vista.
>
>     If I go to Control Panel and double click System, it says this:
>
> <<>>
> Windows edition..........
>
>      Windows Vista Ultimate
[...]

I believe that's the version with the most features, so you should not
run into any problems like not being able to join domains or whatever
if that's what you wanted to do.

>     Gary, I really appreciate your help.  On terminology, how do I join
> Vista to a domain?

I think you should probably try to keep things as simple as possible
to start with.  Setting up Samba as a domain controller is much more
trouble than is necessary for your simple requirements.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>