[Samba] Desiring to set up Windows Vista and Linux Fedora Core 4

Barry L. Bond bbond at cfl.rr.com
Fri Oct 9 22:01:39 MDT 2009

Hi Michael!

     Thank you for your fast reply!

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 04:35:50PM +0200, Michael Wood wrote:

> From what you say above, I assume that the Windows machine is on
> either 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x networks?  Don't forget to use a
> full stop after them like:
>
> hosts allow 192.168.1. 192.168.2.
>
> or you could write it like:
>
> hosts allow 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.2.0/24

     Hmmmm... I have "hosts allow = 192.168.1., 192.168.2., 127."

     I have a space between the IP address excerpts (I presume that's what
you mean by the full stop), though I also have a comma.  I'll remove the
commas...

> What does your smb.conf look like?  And what happens when you try to
> connect/print from the Windows machine?  What errors to you get?

     Here is my current smb.conf file:

<<>>
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2009/10/03 00:37:16

# Global parameters
[global]
	server string = Windows in Linux - VMware
	interfaces = eth0, vmnet1, vmnet8
	guest account = barry
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	preferred master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
	idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
	guest ok = Yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
	cups options = raw

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[HostFS]
	comment = VMware host filesystem
	path = /
	read only = No

[barry]
	path = /home/barry
	valid users = barry
	read only = No

[HP9110]
	comment = Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet 9110
	path = /var/spool/samba
	read only = No
	printable = Yes
	printer name = HP9110
	oplocks = No
	share modes = No
<<>>

     There are a LOT of comments in my original smb.conf file, but since I
tried to modify a couple of things using SWAT, I see it removed the
comments.

     Much of what is in this file is what I had, years ago, when I had
Windows 98 which I could access through VMware, which was running on my
Linux system.  (I want to do exactly what I did with that, be able to
submit a print job or transfer a file either direction.)

     After I removed the comments in my "hosts allow" line, I typed
"service smb restart" in my root window:

<<>>
[root at barrycon samba]# service smb restart
Shutting down SMB services:                                [  OK  ]
Shutting down NMB services:                                [  OK  ]
Starting SMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
<<>>

     On the Windows computer, I clicked Start and then Network.

     I double-clicked OFFICE-WINDOWS.

     I double-clicked "Add a Printer".

     Then an "Add a printer" came up near the top of my explorer, after
Organize and Views.

     Clicking "Add a printer", I choose "Add a network, wireless or
Bluetooth printer" in the dialog box that comes up. ("Add a local printer"
is the only other choice here.)

     It says "Searching for available printers..."

     After a delay, it says "No printers were found."

     I click "The printer that I want isn't listed" and out of the three
choices ("Browse for a printer", "Select a shared printer by name" and
"Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname"), I choose the second
one, as the printer is connected to my Linux system with a parallel port,
and it does not have an IP address.

     I click in the "text box" and type "\\barrycon\hp9110"

     The hostname is barrycon (and that is exactly what worked in the
Windows 98/VMware I did years ago), and if I type "lpstat -v" the first
line says "device for HP9110:".

     Another dialog box says "Connecting to hp9110 on barrycon" and after
a short delay it says "Windows cannot connect to the printer.  The server
print spooler service is not running.  Please restart the spooler on the
server or restart the server machine."

     Michael, in the extremely limited time I've given this, I don't
appear to be communicating at all.  I thank you that you and others are
trying to help me, so I believe I will just see if you or anyone else
replies before I mess something up worse!  :-)

     Thank you again!

     Barry

--
Barry L. Bond                      | http://home.roadrunner.com/~os9barry
Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last

bbond @ cfl.rr.com <- personal     |  Re-Vita Products:
Barry.Bond @ ITT.com <- Work ONLY  |  http://www.re-vita.net/barrybond
                                   |  Re-Vita Distributor Information
Home office:  407-382-2815         |  http://www.re-vita.net/barrybond-2
Work:         321-494-5627 (Work)  |  Toll free order:  1-888-820-5531