[Samba] How to bulk add machine accounts during PDC hardware refresh?

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Tue Oct 6 16:29:36 MDT 2009

Greetings Harry-

Thank you for your continued assistance!

Harry Jede wrote:
> On Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2009 wrote Michael Lueck:
>> For Samba users (real actual users) there is an entry in passwd and
>> group. I would think I can use adduser to set those up, and edit the
>> uid/gid # to match.

> If you need to edit uid/gid, do not forget to change the uid/gid in your
> filesystems. Do it separately for uid and gid. It is more safe.

I was thinking to create the new uid/gid entries before I restore files from the backup.

Thus since ID's are created, made to look the same as the old server, I would think files/dirs would restore properly, including ownership. No?

>> Do you see any problems with this course of action?
> Yes. The samba passwords (lm and nt hashes) are stored in a separate
> file. I am sure you will not change the paswords. But  be sure, that
> you do not loose the "logical connection" with both storage areas
> (passwd/shadow and smbpasswd).

So what is the proper way to create the "machine accounts" for the Windows boxes?

Shall I simply copy/paste the existing entries in passwd/shaow and smbpasswd and do not concern myself copying the password hash from non-login ID's on the new server (shadow file)?

Or... ???

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lueck