[Samba] Rename Computer In Samba Domain: Access Is Denied

m maglyx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 13:56:52 MDT 2009

Ah, thanks. I tested 3.3.8 and 3.4.2. On 3.3.8 the computer rename
still fails with the same log symptoms, but on 3.4.2 the rename
actually succeeds. I reckon this is a bug in the 3.2 and 3.3 series.

As an aside, in compiling these versions from scratch I am puzzled by
if the install scripts (make install) are expected to handle setting
up shared library locations. i.e., the shared libraries are installed
into /usr/local/samba/lib but the script doesn't appear to do any
configuration to enable these to be found when the binaries are
loaded.

Is this intended to be beyond the scope of the makefiles? Looking
around, things like Chapter 42 of the Samba How To (How to Compile
Samba) talk about doing a make install and subsequently running the
daemons as if there's no other steps to be dealt with.

(I did manually set up my ld.so.conf to search the samba/lib directory
but don't know if this should've been necessary.)