[Samba] Moving away from samba 3.0.28

Marcio Merlone marcio.merlone at a1.ind.br
Thu Oct 1 08:18:56 MDT 2009

Hi all,

We use samba 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.8 (Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS) as our company's DC
and fileserver with LDAP authentication against an OpenLDAP
2.4.9-0ubuntu0.8.04.3. We are having some trouble regarding filesystem
permissions and ACL administration, so we plan to move on to a newer
version of samba. We'd love to move to an AD solution, but it seems
samba4 is not yet ready for production (is franky - samba3/4?).

Easy of administration is a plus here, so if I could avoid compiling
from scratch would be nice, though it can be done. That means I'd
preferer a pre-compiled .deb package I could install, but if it is not
feasable I can use the sources and compile it myself.

My question is, what samba version you guys recommend for a small
company with simple needs - just single-domained DC or AD and fileserver
auth'ing on LDAP, no need for print support? Samba 3.3, 3.4 or franky
3/4? Can I use franky and have a good night sleep?

Thanks for sharing your experience, tips and thoughts.

--
Marcio Merlone