[Samba] Computers leaving samba domain

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Thu Oct 1 07:40:04 MDT 2009

I am not sure if this is where I need to ask this or not, but I am lost to
where to start even.

I had 7 computers in one lab that would not login.  It gave the standard
"computer account password bad or domain not found".  I had another 9
computer in my other lab do the same thing.  It seems that they have
suddenly started losing the domain.  I can add them to a workgroup and
then re-add them back to the domain and they are fine.

I am just scared that they are going to lose the domain again.  I cannot
spend all of my time going around removing computers and adding them back
to the domain each day.  Any ideas of what could cause this?  Client
issue?  Samba issue?  ldap issue?

The clients are all Windows XP service pack 3 and the server is a Fedora
10 server running samba and ldap.

Usually the only time that I have this happen is if I accidentally add
another computer to the domain with the same name.  I understand that, but
I have not done that on any of these.

One lab has brand new computers.  The other lab just got imaged day before
yesterday.  I'll go ahead and get them all added back in, but I need to
find what to be looking for if they keep doing this.  Thanks.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?