[Samba] Samba + LDAP: Changing user's group

davefu davefury at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 05:29:33 MST 2009

Hi, thanks for answering.

I have only 1 Samba server. When I mentioned changes on groups, I meant on
LDAP server. LDAP is used on both system and samba environments. When
changing groups on users, those changes are instant on the system
environment, but not on Samba.

- I create a new "Folder A", with full permissions for "Group A"
- "User B" (belonging to group B), logs via SSH to the server, and can't
access the "Folder A".
- "User B" logs via Samba using his Windows desktop machine, and can't
access the "Folder A" (previously configured inside a Samba Resource).
- Now I add "User B" to "Group A" via LDAP. He belongs now to "Group A" and
"Group B".
- Getent group | grep "User B" shows correctly both groups on the user.
- "User B" correctly access "Folder A", write files, etc via console, ssh,
or any kind of regular system authentication (since system is using pam
libraries, configured to use LDAP as backend).
- "User B" still can't access "Folder A" in any way. Samba has cached "User
B" credentials, and haven't checked LDAP again for a while. The only option
is to restart Samba, or wait randomly until Samba refreshes / syncs LDAP
info about that user again.

Hope this little story explains my problem better.
Sorry for my english.

Thanks!

However,