[Samba] Wins, browsing, browse.dat and wins.dat

Eric PEYREMORTE eric.peyremorte at iut-valence.fr
Mon Nov 16 07:21:07 MST 2009

Hi,

I have troubles understanding wins and network browsing functionnality.

I have a samba server(pdc) on a different subnet than my clients.

The server smb.conf has wins support = Yes, the client are configured to
use the wins server.

In the wins.dat, i can see all the computers.

In the browse.dat i have only computers/servers that are in the same subnet.

When i try to browse the network via "network neighborbood" i only see
the computers that are in the same subnet ( the same that are in the
browse.dat )

I've read the howto about wins, but can't understand how my computers
can be visible in the network neighborhood... I thought that setting a
wins server would be the solution but i think i'm wrong.

Could someone helped me ?
( I googled all the day for that ...)

Thanks,
Eric