[Samba] talpy-deny error when combining samba and sophos

Marcus lists at localguru.de
Tue Nov 10 05:33:24 MST 2009

Am Montag, den 09.11.2009, 23:39 +0100 schrieb Marcus:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting the following error when trying to save a file in a share
> with activated on-access-scanning using sophos:
>
> Nov  9 17:10:41 server kernel: talpa-deny: Error occured while
> opening /vol/group/test.ppt on behalf of
> process smbd[23713/23713] owned by 6688(6688)/0(7003) <512>
>
> I know that this is not a samba problem, but may be someone had this
> problem too and solved it. Basically this error comes up when saving MS
> word oder powerpoint files which try to create temporary ~$ files.
>
> my system: debian Etch with samba 3.0.24-6etch10
> Sophos version: 6.7.0

This is a known sophus Bug. A workaround is to disable the
"interruptible sleep" option. See

 http://downloads.sophos.com/readmes/readsavl_6_eng.txt

* Option to make on-access scanner less POSIX compliant

(DEF 41422) Some applications behave in a non-POSIX compliant manner
with
respect to open() calls being interrupted by signals. This causes
"System
Call Interrupt" errors to be reported when on-access scanning is
enabled. An
option has been added to make the on-access scanner behave in a less
POSIX
compliant manner, so that these errors are not reported. To enable this
option, type:

    /opt/sophos-av/bin/savconfig set TalpaSleepInterruptible false

Ciao,
Marcus