[Samba] which version best to use right now?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Nov 4 14:17:44 MST 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 12:40:48PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> hiya folks,
> I've been trying to figure out which branch of samba is best for us to use.
> I read the FAQ, and it seems a little out of date. or at best, lacking in info.
> It says that, "The current stable, production Samba server is the Samba
> 3.2 branch."

Yes, that's out fof date. Should state 3.4 branch.

> If that is the case.. then why are there **THREE** other branches?
>
> why is there also a 3.3, *and* a 3.4, *and* a 4.x branch?

We've moved to a 6 monthly release cycle (like Ubuntu). So like
Ubuntu the latest version (3.4.x) is the current stable
production version, but we still release patches for people
running 3.3.x as Linux distros release patches for current
versions in maintanence.

4.x is different, we have a ship plan for this that I'm
planning to talk about in the next Samba Team blog.

> To give an idea of my criteria: I'm looking for a version that will be
> part of a large-scale server for the next few years, as a member of an
> ms-windows active directory

I'd recommend 3.4.x right now.

Jeremy.